Monday, May 27, 2013

Vegetable Box and Broccoli

After that last "Gardening Fails" post, I figured it's time to feature some things that have gone well. When we moved into our current apartment, the first thing I wanted was to build a raised garden bed. I scrounged up some wood (not heat-treated) from the loading dock at work, and built one, 3' x 4' if I remember correctly. Then we filled it with soil. It took SO MUCH SOIL. Why had no one warned me of this before? I literally pulled my back lifting bags and bags of compost and potting soil. That being said - it was all worth it.

September 5, 2013
Given that I built it in the fall, anything I planted would have to survive the winter (either grow or to overwinter). We decided on snap peas, broccoli, kale, carrots, and brussel sprouts. The first picture below is from Sept 6th, and those below it are from January and February, after 3 months of cold (but productive?) growth. I also added some garlic (I just bought a bunch from whole foods and put each clove about 5 inches apart), and covered it with mulch. Slugs became a GIANT, slimy, slippery, annoying problem (they kept eating my seedlings), so you can see how I progressed and started adding crushed eggshells and coffee grounds to the top of the soil to deter them.

September 6, 2013. They were started indoors, it wasn't that fast (ha!)
September 15, 2013
January 5, 2013
February 15, 2013
April 8, 2013
Things got a little out of hand in April, right? My broccoli and brussel sprouts went to seed. We enjoyed many little pieces of broccoli, but sadly no brussel sprouts (I planted them too late in the fall - note to self, plant them earlier). The kale was awesome throughout the winter - I'd just snip off a few leaves for breakfast with my eggs or to go in pasta. Swiss chard took a while to start growing, but now it's going quickly!

Here's what I did with the first harvest of broccoli:

Tasty looking right?
Snipped off about 5 inches - you can see the side shoots of the broccoli already coming in.
It was about to flower, that's how I knew I should probably eat it.
Yogurt, cranberry, almond broccoli salad.

3 comments:

Benjamin Leipzig said...

SUCH a tasty, nutritional, and replenishable source of greens!!!!!

my back hurt too from the dirt lifting.

Edie said...

Oh that was a nice broccoli salad! Good job sibblykin! You have a true green thumb!

Vicki Valdez said...

The broccoli looks good there is no way it would grow here,not to sure about kale but most likely not.