Saturday, March 15, 2014

Tribute to 2013

I'm a little behind on reflecting on 2013, but I figured it's better late than never. Things of particular importance or excitement this year (in no particular order):

I don't know about you, but I also like to look back at my previous year's spending habits to identify where the money went and which areas might need reevaluation. I'm a huge fan of Mr. Money Mustache, a guy who writes about personal finance and "badassity", where you can hone your skills by doing things yourself or helping others. He features case studies and helps people sort through ways to invest better, live simpler, and be more happy. Here's our spending showcase for 2013, all are estimates on average for two adults (I used mint.com to categorize these):

  • $407 per month on food/dining out
  • $175 per month on travel (obviously composed of less-than monthly trips)
  • $28 per month on clothing (we're both terrible at shopping and only replace clothes when necessary)
  • $135 per month for utilities/internet
  • $230 per month for insurance/doctor's visits/health in general
  • $150 per month for gifts/charitable giving
  • $230 per month for tuition (robbery!!!! we're grad students!!!!!)
  • $19 per month for gas (we prefer not to drive if we can get there any other way)
  • $100 per month for car insurance (we should probably call around and find the best rate)
  • $x for rent. I'm a little embarrassed about this category (very high) and hope to move soon.
  • $9 per month for coffee shops (not coffee made at home)
There are obviously some things that we can scale back on, but we're both saving (a little), so I'm pretty happy with our spending outcome. Except for that rent category #firstworldproblems. What about you? Have you looked back at your spending to figure out where it all went? Does it align with your priorities?

Here's to hoping for a wonderful 2014.

2 comments:

Edie said...

I really enjoyed your list of things for 2013, such a good idea!!

Sophia said...

You're so good with your money! It's a great example for me too!